Many hands make light work! Volunteering is the best way to get to know the students, parents, teachers, and staff of the Fairmount community. No contribution of your time is too small, and there many opportunities throughout the year. Check out some examples below.
The best way to find out about volunteer opportunities is to come to a PTA Meeting on the first Tuesday of any month. You should also sign up for all communications detailed on our Communications page. And you can always reach out to the PTA Board directly by emailing email@example.com, and they will gladly accept your offer to help.
To check out our online volunteer signup system, login to our parent portal and click the SignUp menu:
If you haven’t already signed up for the parent portal, you can do it now:
Sign Up for the Parent Portal
Class Reps (formerly Room Parents)
At Fairmount, we strive to have at least two class reps for every classroom — and it helps if at least one is bilingual. Some of the responsibilities of the class reps are:
- Help maintain an updated list of contact information and a class or grade-specific Google group.
- Connect in person with the teacher at least once per week to find out about classroom needs and relevant communications, like class field trips, volunteer opportunities, enrichment updates, etc.
- Connect in person with other parents at the morning circle and after-school pick up:
- Remind parents of events, volunteer opportunities, and more.
- Listen to parents’ questions and concerns. Try to find answers to their questions, and if appropriate, share their concerns with the administration, teacher, parent liasion, PTA, etc.
Help unload the delivery from San Francisco Food Bank every Monday at 6:30am. To keep the Food Bank at Fairmount, we need volunteers every week.
Selling Fairmount merchandise at events and meetings helps raise funds and spreads school spirit. You also get to meet a lot of Fairmount families and get to know a lot of folks. Everybody wants Fairmount merch!
There are plenty of volunteer opportunities for Fairmount’s annual events. Many of these events are fundraisers but not all of them. Check out our Annual Events page to learn more and stay tuned for details on specific volunteer opportunities.
Lead a school tour in the Fall and share your love of Fairmount with prospective parents. Tours are bilingual, so grab a buddy who speaks the language you don’t or show off your bilingual skills.
Make choir happen by signing up with the choir teacher in the Fall, and coordinating parent chaperones in the Spring.
Join our Education Outside instructor on a gardening day to help keep Fairmount beautiful.
Help with maintain this website.
Create beautiful graphics for our campaign & event posters, flyers, and announcements.
Organize your class’ art piece for the Fiestaval art auction.
Join the translation team! We want to make sure all announcements are in both Spanish and English.
Discover a new way to improve Fairmount, and make it happen.